Israel-Palestine Resource Group
Under the care of the Permanent Board of the Yearly Meeting, the Israel-Palestine resource group supports local Friends meetings across New England in responding to the Yearly Meeting's encouragement to deepen our engagement with issues concerning the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
In 2017, the Yearly Meeting in Annual Sessions approved the following minute (2017-46):
The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) testimony on peace, justice, and nonviolence is based in our experience of the divine in all of creation and within all persons. Thus, we are deeply troubled by the suffering and injustice caused by the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and we are concerned that our government perpetuates that violence by continuing to send billions of dollars of military aid to the region.
We call upon our nation to:
- Cease sending United States military aid and selling weapons to the entire Middle East.
- Continue diplomatic efforts with all parties and remain in dialogue even with those who have acted violently.
- Join the international court system and accept its jurisdiction.
We call upon all nations to:
- Work with the United Nations Security Council to end military aid and arms sales from all outside countries to all parties in this conflict.
- Support the United Nations efforts to bring justice, peace, security, and reconciliation to all parties in the conflict.
- Take measures to assure that international laws are applied universally.
We call upon all individuals and communities to:
- Support and learn from the many organizations that bring Israelis and Palestinians together for justice and peacemaking.
- Examine how anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, racism, and privilege affect our understanding of the conflict.
In 2019, the Yearly Meeting in Sessions affirmed this minute. Minute 2019-46 reads in part:
Northwest Quarter also asks us to request that monthly meetings and quarterly meetings consider whether they have lived into this minute, particularly as it applies to Gaza and the West Bank. This issue weighs heavy on the hearts of many here, but the request now is specifically for meetings to consider this, not to take it up ourselves at this time.
Friends approve making this request.
Seeking Support for your meeting's engagement with Israel-Palestine?
Contact the Friends shepherding this work to begin a conversation.
Minutes 2017-46 and 2019-36 (excerpt)