Coordinating and Advisory
The Coordinating and Advisory Committee (C&A) shepherds the work of the Yearly Meeting in alignment with the core purpose and the priorities articulated by the Yearly Meeting, and works to advise and coordinate the many committees of the Yearly Meeting. The Committee nurtures and supports Friends serving in leadership roles on behalf of the Yearly Meeting, quarterly meetings and monthly meetings. C&A is responsible for supervising and evaluating the work of the Yearly Meeting secretary. The work of the Committee may require confidentiality as it discerns with tenderness how to proceed with an issue.
- The committee meets monthly throughout the year, either in person or by phone.
- The committee supports current and emerging clerks of quarterly meetings, monthly meetings, and Yearly Meeting committees (including ad hoc committees and sub-committees of the Permanent Board) with regular programs such as conference calls, workshops, retreats and prayerful guidance in tender situations.
- The Committee refers some matters to other bodies for review, discernment and action.
- C&A strives to prevent duplication of effort and facilitate efficiency and effectiveness in the work of the Yearly Meeting.
- Every three years, the committee coordinates a review of purposes and procedures for all Yearly Meeting committees prior to their approval by Sessions.
- The committee delegates day-to-day supervision of the Yearly Meeting Secretary to the supervisor of the Yearly Meeting secretary, who ensures completion of the annual performance review of the Secretary.
- The Presiding Clerk may invite other committee clerks or knowledgeable Friends to participate as needed to support the committee’s discernment; otherwise, given the sometimes sensitive and confidential nature of C&A’s work, its meetings are not open.
- The Presiding Clerk reports regularly on the activities of the committee to Permanent Board and M&C, and annually to Sessions.
- The committee is made up (ex officio) of the Yearly Meeting Presiding Clerk, the Yearly Meeting secretary, the Supervisor of the Yearly Meeting Secretary, the Yearly Meeting Treasurer, and the clerks of Finance Committee, Ministry & Counsel Committee, Nominating Committee, and Permanent Board.
- The committee is clerked by the Yearly Meeting Presiding Clerk