Join us for a gathering of Friends in New England caring for the nurture of spiritual life and ministry in our local faith communities. We will worship, deepen our Quaker practice, share experiences among individuals and meetings and celebrate the various expressions of ministry and Quaker spiritual life in our midst. Whether you are new to Friends or have a lifelong concern for spiritual nurture, we invite you to attend!
This will be a participatory day—you are invited to roll up your sleeves and dig into this lively and life-giving event. We will learn from, support, inspire and challenge each other, by lifting up and examining those experiences that have borne fruit and given us spiritual nourishment. In the metaphor of a garden, we will look at how we fertilize and enrich the soil, break up hard ground to clear space for new shoots and do companion planting for synergies to achieve the bountiful harvest for which we yearn. And yes, how we manage the pruning that is sometimes required for that which no longer has life.
Through worship, small group discussion, art, guided reflection and worship sharing, we will together explore the aspects of shared meeting life that support, enhance and enliven our spiritual life and the ministry among us.
- Do we effectively use resources and teaching to create fertile ground for ministry to arise?
- Do we offer loving eldering to break up set ways of thinking and encourage new understandings?
- Do we ‘walk with’ as companions on the journey so as to provide support at critical times?
- Do we welcome and make space for the newcomer or the Friend sorting out that nudge that is not yet a clear leading?
- Do we act on letting go of that which no longer feeds us, whether it has been valued for one season or many?
We especially encourage multiple Friends from a meeting to attend. The shared experience will provide companions for each of you as you bring the fruit of new learnings back home.
This is the first of several planned seasonal gatherings. Future gatherings will engage with the call and challenge of public ministry and the relationship between the minister and the monthly meeting. You can read more about the vision for Spiritual Life and Ministry gatherings here. You are welcome to participate in one or all of these events.
Interested? Register here for this free-of-charge online event.
To contact the gathering hosts, email Jeremiah Dickinson.