Registration for our annual midwinter retreat, held January 2–5, is now open!
This retreat is for young adults (ages 18–35) who are Quaker or who want to explore Quakerism. Young Adult Friends (YAF) retreats are an opportunity to "try on" Quaker spiritual practices, connect with peers in the Quaker movement, enjoy time spent in fun & worshipful togetherness, bring a spiritual lens to the decisions in our lives, and cultivate our spiritual friendships with one another.
The theme of this retreat is "Knowing and Not Knowing: Making Space for Trust and Uncertainty."
Through the program, we’ll explore Quaker practices that can help us get more in touch with what we already know (about ourselves, our gifts, and what we might be led to do in the world) as well as Quaker practices for navigating all that we don’t know (about ourselves, the outcomes of our efforts, and the future). We will spend time sharing our stories of walking with trust and uncertainty side by side. There will also be space at the retreat for resting, playing, eating, singing, worshiping, and enjoying the peaceful beauty of winter atop Woolman Hill in Deerfield, MA. Participants should show up ready to (mostly) unplug and contribute to making the retreat wonderful for us all.
As you register, you might notice:
- The retreat will be held at beloved Quaker retreat center Woolman Hill in Western Massachusetts. Woolman Hill is surrounded by the beauty of meadows and woods and features simple facilities such as a big farmhouse-turned-dormitory, an old meetinghouse, and rustic cabins heated by wood stoves. We sleep in shared rooms on a mixture of bunks and other beds and, when you register, you’ll be able to specify your housing needs.
- You’ll have three attendance options:
- Full retreat (Thursday evening-Sunday mid-day)
- Weekend-only (Friday evening-Sunday mid-day)
- Saturday commuter (10am-after dinner on Saturday) for people who can only come for a short while but still want to participate
We hope these options reduce the fractured a feeling that can arise when people are coming and going throughout the retreat. This also helps us plan for people’s arrival in the flow of the weekend so everyone feels properly welcomed and oriented to the retreat.
- We will be asking for a $7 deposit to hold your space. If the $7 deposit is a burden for you, please contact Nia ([email protected]). No one will be turned away for lack of funds.
- If you’d like, you can pay your full fee ahead of time online (the retreat is pay-as-led/sliding scale).
- We are limiting the number of participants to the number of people we can comfortably feed and house at Woolman Hill. Because of this limit, it is especially important that if your plans change, you contact Nia ([email protected])
Ready to register? Go here. Registration closes December 27th.